Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Infertility

Yesterday I was having a bit of impatience. Why oh why does the last month seem to drag on and on and on and on and, well, you get the picture...

I decided a bath was in order so off I waddled to grab my new book and sit in the tub soaking in hot blissfully wonderful water.
As I sat there enjoying the much needed rest and reading I became very aware that waiting for this blessing to arrive was a BLESSING!

The book I was reading was A Few Good Eggs: Two Chicks Dish on Overcoming the Insanity of Infertility  

I love all things woman and I like to be knowledgeable about the different things that touch our lives. Our struggles as women and what we overcome..

As I continued to read I realized there are so many women out there who would gladly change places with me even with my aches, pains and impatience.
Many women (and men) never know if they will carry a baby in their womb. They never know if they will be parents and mountains of seemingly insurmountable problems lay ahead of them. Let me give you a few statistics:
1 in 6 American couples experience infertility
About 2 percent of American women (1.2 million) visited a doctor in the past year and another 13 percent (7.6 million) reported an infertility visit at some point earlier in their lives.
In 2002, 20 percent of women ages thirty-five through thirty-nine were childless, up from 10 percent in 1976, according to the U.S. Census Report on Fertility in American Women.
Approximately 90 to 95 percent of childless couples turn to fertility doctors for help.
According to a 1995 government survey, 3.3 million Americans reported suffering from secondary infertility after already having one child.

These statistics seem staggering to me. And heartbreaking!

Some of the reasons the infertility rates continue to rise as stated in the book are; waiting to start a family until later in life, years of taking birth control, menstruation suppressing birth control pills, hormones and antibiotics in our foods, pollution in our air, mercury in our fish, and those with low body fat and/or anorexia.

Did you know that in fertility cases 40 percent of men are infertile, 40 percent of women are infertile and 20 percent are what are referred to as unexplained?

Reading this book has been eye opening for me! It has helped me understand those women dealing with infertility. It is giving me a birds eye view on a topic we very rarely here about from the actual women & men struggling with it.
I am gaining understanding. A valuable tool!

If you are dealing with infertility or secondary infertility please buy a copy of this book (or perhaps your library would have a copy to check out).(Click on the title above which will take you directly to Amazon.com)  I think you will find the support you need, the wisdom on what to do next and the knowledge you need to understand the many options available to you.

And one last thing: Forgive me for not understanding and for my own ignorance to your pain. Never again will I turn a blind eye to the struggle and pain of those desiring a child and experiencing infertility. It's a very real issue and one we all should be willing to learn about and empathize with.  





3 comments:

  1. I stumbled on your blog while doing research on unassisted birth and enjoy the insight. I also enjoy any and all books related to women's amazing and complex bodies. :) On the other hand, please don't assume all who are infertile are heartbroken and suffering. My DH and I love our life together with God. We travel, enjoy friends and family and have been fortunate enough to be able to spend time working and giving back to those in need. I think it's important to make the most of your life, whatever path it takes - many children or none - and be happy!! Anyway, I digress. :) Congrats on the pregnancy and thank you for the book rec!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ty so much for your perspective on infertility. It's nice to hear from someone who has had to go through it. Your life does sound full and I am glad and encouraged to read that! :) I apologize if I offended at all. I am very sad anyone has to go through this but also by reading the stories of the women in this book I was able to glimpse their heartache a little. That's where my heart is at...

      Delete
    2. Aw, no - you didn't offend me. I meant to check back on my comment and clarify. :) I hate the "anonymous" tag, so I'll go by "K," haha. I can understand that it's heartbreaking to those who are trying to become pg without it happening. You're right, too - the numbers are staggering with regard to infertility rates... Well, best wishes again with your little one!! You sound empowered and knowledgeable when it comes to unassisted birth, and that is great!

      Delete